Skip to content

Minya Bus Attacks Continues to Haunt Children

May 28, 2018 | Africa
May 28, 2018

ICC Note: This weekend was the one-year anniversary of the Minya bus attacks which led to the deaths of 28 Copts. Children were on the bus, but the young boys were spared to tell the story. Such was the case with the children of Hanna, whose husband was one of those killed. Her boys, especially the youngest, have been significantly traumatized by witnessing their father’s death.

05/28/2018 Egypt (World Watch Monitor) – On 26 May 2017 a convoy of Copts was travelling to the Monastery of St. Samuel in Minya, 170 miles (270km) south of Cairo, to celebrate Ascension Day. Among them were Ayad and his sons, Marco (14) and Mina (10).

“I remember it was a very hot day, so my husband and two sons left early for work in the monastery. They were working on the church bells there,” remembers 42-year-old mother-of-four, Hanaa.

Their convoy was stopped on the desert road by eight to ten gunmen. They ordered the Copt men to give up their valuables, then all, who would not confess Islam, were shot. Some 28 Copts were killed. The boys were spared “to tell the story”.

“I was having breakfast with my daughters when the phone rang,” Hanaa continues. “It was my son calling from his father’s phone. He was crying. He told me they had been attacked and that his father was in a critical condition.”

“I went as soon as I could, together with some family. The ambulance was late, so my nephew Ehab put Ayad in the back of his minivan. My husband was soaked in blood, it was a terrible sight. On the way to hospital Ayad was transferred to the ambulance, but it was too late: he died on the way.”

Hanaa’s grief was immeasurably deep. But, she said, “along the way God comforted me through the many visits of priests and people who stood with me.”

The support was also good for her 14-year-old son, Marco. Hanaa says he was encouraged by it, and has been very brave like his late father. He is doing well at school, she says. “[He has] started to go to the monastery to make church bells in his father’s place. He has a strong relationship with God. He always goes to church, especially since his father’s death.”

But she worries for Mina. “My big concern is for my youngest son, Mina,” Hanaa admits. “This incident has had a huge negative impact on him. He’s always afraid, especially to go anywhere on his own, even to the bathroom. He also can’t sleep alone, so sleeps next to me.”

[Full Story]

For interviews with Claire Evans, ICC’s Regional Manager, please contact Olivia Miller, Communications Coordinator: [email protected]

To read more news stories, visit the ICC Newsroom
For interviews, please email [email protected]

Help ICC bring hope and ease the suffering of persecuted Christians.

Give Today
Back To Top
Search