Skip to content

Al-Shabaab behind another car bombing in Somalia

August 31, 2016 | Somalia
August 31, 2016

ICC Note: Al-Shabaab claims responsibility for a car bombing attack that occurred this Tuesday morning in Mogadishu, Somalia. According to the police, a popular hotel in the capital city was targeted because it is frequented by government officials and diplomats and it is close to the presidential palace. The jihadist terrorist group has been responsible for the several attacks that have transpired in the last few months. They have developed a notorious reputation for attacking eastern Kenya, targeting Christians in a mission to purge what they believe to be Muslim lands from followers of Christ.

8/30/2016, Somalia (All Africa) – A suicide bomber has detonated a car bomb outside a popular Mogadishu hotel. Several soldiers were killed in the blast near the presidential compound. It is the third attack on the same hotel in less than three years.

The bomb exploded during a traffic jam on Tuesday, police captain Mohamed Hussein said. Officials believe the militants targeted the SYL hotel which frequented by government officials.

The hotel is close to the main checkpoint which protects the entrance to the presidential compound.

“So far we know five government soldiers died in the blast,” police officer Colonel Abdikadir Hussein told Reuters. “The death toll may rise.”

[Full Story]
To read more news stories, visit the ICC Newsroom
For interviews, please email [email protected]

Help ICC bring hope and ease the suffering of persecuted Christians.

Give Today
Back To Top
Search