Turkey Frees US Evangelist But Deportation Threat Remains
ICC Note: An American evangelist who was arrested last week for “endangering the public order” has been released from the deportation center in Istanbul. Thanking his supporters via facebook, David Byle was reunited with his family last Thursday. Unfortunately, the American preacher still faces the threat of deportation. This is not the first time David Byle has faced this kind of threat, having occurred in 2007, 2009 and also in 2010.
04/18/2016 Turkey (BosNewsLife): American evangelist David Byle, who faces deportation from Turkey for “endangering public order”, has thanked his supporters for their prayers after he was unexpectedly released.
“Praise God, I was released from the deportation center…and just arrived home,” he said. “Thanks to all who prayed and did advocacy for me, also to my tireless lawyer and most of all to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who never left my side, and never will,” added Byle, who was freed Friday, April 15.
The Istanbul-based preacher had been detained April 6 after the government reportedly filed a “no-reentry order”, forbidding him from coming back into the country once deported.
Officials allegedly told him that he is “a danger to public order.” Byle’s wife Ulrike rejected these charges. “I think the reason he is being held is because of his evangelistic activities,” she said in a statement.
Her husband founded a successful Bible correspondence course, which reportedly suffered an arson attack in 2014 that destroyed thousands of New Testaments. He raised even more controversy within this heavily Muslim nation for his street evangelism.
…
[Full Story]